THE IMPORTANCE OF WEB IMAGES
Images are a powerful way of engaging web visitors.
Quality photographs represent your brand as a professional enterprise to be trusted online.
As a bonus, from the search perspective, images are a good way to gain more web visibility.
Search engines will display your images in a separate directory for web visitors who search specifically for images.
STOCK PHOTOGRAPHY FOR IMAGES
Don’t include images that detract from the quality of your work.
If users see the same cheesy pictures that are common on the internet, then they will subconsciously assume that your content is just as cheesy.
If you are going to use stock photography, consider editing them to give them a unique touch.
Here are a few websites which allow you to download and use high-quality photography on your website, for free.
10 of the Best Free Stock Photography Resources Online:
SEO IMAGE ALTERNATE TEXT
A picture says a thousand words.
Well, your job as an SEO copywriter is to see to it that a few of these words fill the HTML alternate text (alt text/ alt attribute) of your selected images.
Before uploading your images onto your site, be sure to rename the image file with consideration to SEO.
Your original photos will probably saved in your flash card as ‘D7100 – 20180201.’ Change it to feature your target keyword, or at the very least describe the image.
IMAGE ALT TEXT DEFINITION
<img src=”sample.png” alt=”Sample Text”>
“The required alt attribute specifies an alternate text for an image, if the image cannot be displayed. The alt attribute provides alternative information for an image if a user for some reason cannot view it (because of slow connection, an error in the src attribute, or if the user uses a screen reader).
When it comes to images online, there are two things to keep in mind.
- Images have a separate library on most search engines.
If your image of a ‘man driving a car down street’ has the alt text, ‘inspiration quotes,’ then you may be missing out on potential traffic boosts.
People searching specifically for images of driven cars won’t ever find yours because you titled it incorrectly.
- The blind and visually impaired rely on screen-readers that will describe your ’man driving a car down the street’ as ‘inspirational quotes,” if you label your photographs to con search engines.
Some webmasters like to utilize focus keywords as their alternate texts, regardless of what is being depicted. You shouldn’t.
When your image can’t be related to your focus keyword or any related terms, you are better off describing the image in your alt text.
THE BENEFITS OF IMAGES AS LINKS
1. You may tap into a fresh source of traffic from the image library of search engines.
2. You can use images as anchors for your hyperlinks (Consider using text links below your images as well. Search engines still favor text links over image links).
You may differentiate the link distribution of your internal or external links by using images to connect to other pages. Search engines appreciate link building strategies that appear natural, not concentrated on the same repeated anchors like, ‘click here.’
WARNING: AVOID EMBEDDING TEXT IN IMAGES
You may admire the presentation but SEOs must constantly weigh practicality over aesthetics.
Avoid embedding text into images – especially if what you have to say is important.
Search engine crawlers can’t read text embedded in images. And as an SEO copywriter, you always want to satisfy both human readers and search engine algorithms.
1. Details like your address and phone number should be included as text in the body of your page copy, not fused into your graphics.
2. Always remember to include your alt texts or prioritize words over images when you mentioning factors that boost your ranking.
Search engines won’t be able to discern your ‘shirts’ section from your ‘jeans’ section if you are relying on only images, or images with embedded text.
3. As a general guide, you are advised to regard images as visual ‘treats’ which boost engagement.
They should not be the singular source of information that is crucial in interacting with your site.
Your content should convey your message without relying on images.
IMAGE SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION TIPS
1. SEO re-named title for image file names, before uploading.
2. Optimize image file size – The lowest file size which doesn’t damage image quality
3. Include Alternate Text
4. Correct Image format – Make sure images appear in a format that flows with the rest of your site. Check for alignments issues. You don’t want images that are too big or too small, we are looking for the Goldilocks of images.